Today is the end of Down Syndrome Awareness Month. I AM AWARE and I hope you are too. This last post is pretty personal and figured it was perfect for the end of this special month. It has been a blessing sharing my beautiful, determined, smart, funny, sweet, silly, precious sweet cheeks with you.
Down Syndrome does NOT = Broken. My Sweet Cheeks is NOT Broken, despite what I was afraid of and "claimed" when we she was diagnosed shortly after birth. All I could think of and say after I was told my beautiful girl had down syndrome was that I now had 2 broken children. My children are NOT broken, perhaps it was me who was broken. I thought after all of the things we went through with the Big that I would have it "easy" with this one and that whatever God brought me through with the Big I could surely make it though anything else that came my way. We knew in the back of our minds that it was a possibility (my son is carrying the gene for it, although that is a story for another day :D) but wasn't sure what our "odds" were. I didn't want to know either way it wouldn't have changed my love and desire for her. In my moment (moments really)of heartache and brokenness I called my children broken and that they are not, not even close. My children are my world, my light, my love, my heroes, my rocks. My children are nothing short of Miracles each of them. It didn't take me long to snap out of that place, I had enough of the thoughts I did sitting through our first week with our sweet checks in the NICU. All I could see was my beautiful little girl and my handsome boy and how much they needed me and to be honest how much I need them! I do not believe the Lord will every give me more then I can handle he will push me and pull me and sometimes push me to the very end of my ropes the very brink but he will never put me there and leave me there or put me there without an intent. I do not know why the Lord choose me to care for these amazing souls but he did, one of these days I will know. In the meantime I do know that the lord has blessed me with two of his most precious gifts - he trusted me with his beautiful children and I do not EVER think I could thank him enough.
My Heroes!
Amen.
ReplyDelete